John Dean Crime Novelist is a social network
I give talks on crime writing to organisations ranging from library reading groups and writing groups to men's forums. I deliver creative writing workshops at a venues, including arts centres and libraries. I can be contacted on 01325 463813 email@example.com
Aside from my arts work, I am a freelance journalist - if you want to find out more, visit inscribemedia.co.uk (no www)
Started by John Dean Feb 18, 2011.
I’ve been doing a lot of teaching on the idea of ideas lately and came across these excellent quotes.
• People always want to know: Where do I get my ideas? They're everywhere. I'm inspired by people and things around me. (Gwendolyn Brooks, American poet)
• My standard answer is "I don't know where they come from, but I know where they come to, they come to my desk." If I'm not there, they go away again, so you've got to sit and think. (Philip Pullman, English writer)
Posted by John Dean on September 7, 2017 at 9:35
Here are my golden rules for writing.
* Consider the reader - do not write for yourself, always write for the reader.
* Be disciplined - you may wish to pack lots of information in but does the reader need it?
* You may not have put enough information in - you can imagine where a scene is set but have you given the reader the information they need? You may have drawn a character but can your readers see…Continue
Posted by John Dean on August 31, 2017 at 14:50
Following the news that I am to run an online crime fiction course (details in the blog below), I thought it would be useful to look at how to write a good crime story:
* The story should be strong and one that can be told in a short story (most crime stories are novels)
* Create a strong sense of place - the reader must be able to visualise where the action happens
* Create strong characters - do not stray…
Posted by John Dean on August 21, 2017 at 16:31
Crime novelist and creative writing tutor John Dean has launched an online Crime Fiction Course.
John, author of 12 novels published by Robert Hale, and the creator of DCI John Blizzard and DCI Jack Harris, also runs Inscribe Media Ltd, which is based in Darlington in North East England, which will be offering the course.
The online course, which runs in eight parts and can begin at a time and date to suit the student, will help writers to improve their technique and improve…Continue
Posted by John Dean on August 21, 2017 at 16:28
Welcome to my site. I am a crime novelist who was published by Robert Hale between 2004 and 2014 and now by The Book Folks
The titles are:
A Flicker in the Night
No Age to Die
The Vengeance Man
The Latch Man
The Long Dead
Strange Little Girl (all John Blizzard stories)
The Dead Hill (The first Jack Harris mystery)
The Railway Man (John Blizzard)
To Die Alone (Jack Harris)
The Secrets Man (John Blizzard)
To Honour The Dead (Jack Harris)
A Breach of Trust (John Blizzard)
The Book Folks
Dead Hill eb pb
The VIxen's Scream eb pb
To Die Alone eb pb